Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Fancy a free book or £10?

After last week's emotional show on organ donation and transplant, I decided to make today's Anything But Ordinary radio show a little more light hearted an fun. That said, I had to mention the wonderful Lou and play her song, Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, which was another emotional moment and bought a huge lump in my throat. Good old Lou for choosing such an upbeat song that soon had me bopping in the studio again. Honestly, one of these days I will forget to switch my mic off I'm sure and you will hear me singing along, probably in harmony, and it will be immensely embarrassing. On the show, I mentioned the video where I talk about Lou and share the song I wrote about her. You can find the link to that here if you want to listen. 

After some fun chit chat about birthdays (as mine is tomorrow), wishes and beating the winter blues, I was really pleased to welcome Jason from [Re]designdesign to talk about their amazing project [Re}design Christmas.

Jason with the santa beard, one of the quickest and easiest projects in the book.



I met Jason at the Ideal Home's Christmas a few weeks ago when his stall really caught my eye, standing out in a sea of everything that is commercial about Christmas. Jason and his partner Sarah set up [Re]design to encourage people to make things out of materials that would otherwise end up in the landfill and to encourage designers to think about sustainability and how to prevent the product of their work ending up in a landfill. The idea originated from one Christmas when they and their family decided that, the next year, everyone should make a present for one adult member of the family - kind of like a home made secret santa. A wonderful tradition was born and each year each adult hand makes a gift for another adult member of the family and that's all they get for Christmas. I think that's amazing and what Christmas should be all about - giving something with love and care, not just the latest gadget or piece of plastic with little thought sometimes. I'm going to adopt a bit of that spirit and make things with the children to give to others this Christmas. Jason gave me a copy of their [Re]design Christmas book at the show and am hoping to make as many pieces as possible - crochet purses and knitted bags made from supermarket carrier bags and Christmas tree decorations from plastic bottles. You can also make lampshades, a gorgeous cushion from an old seasonal jumper, even a full sized suit or armour from the boxes discarded at the end of Christmas Day - a real Boxing Day project in every sense of the word. While we were chatting all about their work, Jason showed me how to make yarn from carrier bags and we made pom poms. Now I know how to make the yarn I plan to get the knitting and crochet needles out to make bags and purses as presents - that wil be my first project from the book.

You too can have a go, Jason and Sarah have very kindly donated a [Re]design Christmas book for anyone who uses it to raise money for William's Wishes. If you think you could make and sell some things out of, in may cases, household waste, please let me know by e-mailing me or using the contact page and the book is yours. 

And while we're on the subject of freebies and William's Wishes - I will give £10 of my own money to 5 people who can use it to make at least £50 for William's Wishes. How you do it is up to you! 

You can hear the show in full here - scroll down until you find the 27th November episode of Anything But Ordinary. 




No comments:

Post a Comment